Couldn’t get connection factory client

The question:

I got this error: ERROR/MapActivity(258): Couldn't get connection factory client

Everything worked fine, it’s all of a sudden, how come that happens?
I know my api key is fine, because one month I’ve been using it perfectly.
How come all of a sudden it doesn’t show me the map activity, and posts that error in the logcat?

The Solutions:

Below are the methods you can try. The first solution is probably the best. Try others if the first one doesn’t work. Senior developers aren’t just copying/pasting – they read the methods carefully & apply them wisely to each case.

Method 1

I had reinstalled Android dev kit on my new system and the debug.keystore had changed.
Once I used the keytool to make a new MD5 and registered that with Google I was back in action with a fresh apiKey.

“Couldn’t get connection factory client” is a weird message for an invalid apiKey !

Method 2

I’m getting the same problem when using getFromLocationName, with a ‘ not Available’ error.

I’ve done a bit of googling around and it seems this is a bug in the software.

Method 3

I had the same problem with API level 8 on both emulator and a physical device (2.2) Actually, for me it never worked. Then by chance I tried on emulator API level 10 (with Google API of course), and it worked just fine.

(Before that, I got a new MD5 with the keytool in order to register for a new apikey. However, I got exactly the same as the first time! Maybe I didn’t use the keytool correctly.)

Method 4

I had this error but nothing useful in the Logcat output to determine the AV.

I simply cleaned my project in Eclipse and then I got a proper stack trace of the problem, which was nothing related to MapView. It was just that the MapView was based in the first activity visible.

All methods was sourced from or, is licensed under cc by-sa 2.5, cc by-sa 3.0 and cc by-sa 4.0

Leave a Comment