I want to know if this site can be built with wordpress, I’m a programmer and I don’t know anything about wordpress, how I’m just to get some good advices from you guys:
The main aim of the site is to allow users to view several places of interest in a country
-create a place of interest
– add,delete,edit details such as place name, address, location with google map,rating(users can vote a place),latitude, longitude
-add reviews for place on interest
-allow users to register
-contribute to site by adding a place of interest with all its details(will then be approved by the administator)
-add reviews to a place of interest
-up vote or downvote a place of interest
Below are the methods you can try. The first solution is probably the best. Try others if the first one doesn’t work. Senior developers aren’t just copying/pasting – they read the methods carefully & apply them wisely to each case.
Yes. Theoretically any site can be built on top of WordPress.
You are going to need a lot of modifications to the standard WordPress theme. But not to fret I have assembled a list of some of the things that you would need to do to get your feet wet.
- Add Custom Post Type for Places (Guide | Plugin)
- Add Custom Meta Boxes for address, latitude, longitude, etc. (Guide w/PHP Class)
- Assign Roles to users that will allow them to post. I suggest the Contributor role. If you need more control over permissions you can use the Members plugin
- Add a WP-PostRatings plugin
- Allow comments on posts to be used as reviews
Note: I see that you have tagged wordpress.com. I am unsure of what limitations they place on themes and plugins.
Your fastest approach would be to use a plugin like Easy Google Maps: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-gmappity-easy-google-maps/
Based on the features you have listed you would need additional plugins, or–more likely–hire an expert developer to help build the site with these custom features as a new plugin.
Allowing users to register is fairly simple in WordPress. Plugins like Members allow you to customize what capabilities they have and there is a lot you can do on the back end with the WordPress admin API to make the experience more smooth.
This would be a huge undertaking, especially if you’ve never built a WP site before. If you are very proficient in PHP, you shouldn’t have a problem catching up.
Best of luck on your venture.